The Oradea City Hall is a restoration project that was developed alongside Pro-Arh Oradea, one of the most respectable architecture studios in Oradea.
The Oradea City Hall building was conceived as a representative building for the image of a prosperous city that is in full economic and cultural ascent. Her architect was the experienced Rimanóczy Kálmán jun., the project executor being Sztarill Ferenc. Because of its representative character, the style chosen was the neoclassical one. It is characterized by monumentality, balance, rigor, calm architectural rhythms.
The architectural composition is articulated around three inner courtyards, with the building occupying an area of 5 508 square meters. Rimanóczy Kalman jr. was an architect with a complex vision. He practiced a stylistically expressed representation architecture through a neoclassical eclecticism. The city hall receives an impressive air thanks to the central bend, which concentrates the decorative effects with the greatest visual impact. The three registers have as a key element three monumental windows completed on semicircular trajectory like symbolic triumphal arches, windows marking the grand sitting room, in fact the Hall of Honor. The monumentality of these windows is highlighted by composite columns. The effect of monumental elegance is amplified by the double columns flanking the central edge. Equally spectacular is the level of the ground floor. Its robustness is highlighted by well-sharpened bosses that enhance the effect of strength and stability. An important spatial effect is the amplification of the ground floor creep through a smooth, elegant and functional passageway alike. The third level achieves maximum plastic effect by the presence of the four allegorical figures and the statuary group that majestically crowns the entire architectural composition. The rhythm of the colonies enhances the last level and also contributes to the elegant expression of the whole building.
Inside, the most spectacular architectural element of the City Hall is the main stair, whose generous amplitude shapes the whole space. Pilasters, double columns, elegant spades, neoclassic façades, blind windows with neo-baroque coronet, ove and other decorative details of the eclectic spirit all together make up a unitary architecture with maximum representation. The only Art Nouveau decoration is found in the friezes that decorate the secondary staircase. There flowing flowers and leaves at a slim rhythm, unfolding on wave paths. And the ironing has the same elegant route, a sign that the architect has given all the decoration elements the necessary importance. A plus of elegance and refinement characterizes the decoration of the Hall of Honor. Here the neoclassical, sober and elegant vision prevails, with a special emphasis on the geometric perfection of the circle, reminiscent of the rectangular traces of stucco.
Since its inauguration, the city hall has been linked to many important moments of the city’s past, which have marked the history of central Europe. Among them are the April 20, 1919, when the Roman army troops, led by General Traian Moşoiu, entered the city at the time of the town’s notable call to provide them with the necessary protection after defeating the Bolshevik leaders instaled by Bela Kun’s Hungarian revolution. The general was met by Mayor Rimler Karoly himself, along with the municipal councilors, and then headed to the mayor’s hall where the general took over the administrative leadership of the county. The memory of the general is honored by the laying on April 20, 1920, of a slab in the lobby of the entrance to the Town Hall and in 1937 by the building of a monument.